Your physician has determined that surgery is needed to restore
optimum health and that the procedure is appropriate for Kendall Pointe
Surgery Center. Your physician will schedule a convenient date
and time for your surgery. Any pre-operative testing that may be
required will be scheduled at that time. Your physician may ask
you to come to Kendall Pointe Surgery Center for some of your testing. If
so, you should call 630.449.0085 to schedule
a time for testing. All other test results performed elsewhere
should be forwarded to Kendall Pointe Surgery Center five days prior to
surgery by mail or fax 630.449.0090. This time frame
allows the physicians and nurses to review laboratory results prior
to surgery in order to ensure that you have the best possible care.
Prior to Surgery
Once your doctor has scheduled your procedure, our nurse will call
you to obtain your medical history, discuss the scheduled procedure,
describe the admitting process, and give specific instructions for
the day of surgery. This is also a good time for you to ask questions
and discuss any concerns you might have. We make every effort to
contact you prior to surgery; however, if our nurse is unable to reach
you on the day before surgery, call Kendall Pointe Surgery Center at 630.449.0085
and confirm your reservation with the Center. In
addition to any instructions given to you by your doctor, the following
items must be noted:
- You must not eat, drink or smoke anything (including water, gum or mints)
after midnight (12 AM) on the day of your surgery.
- If you are taking prescribed medications, check with the nurse who calls
from Kendall Pointe Surgery Center or your physician to see if you should continue to take them
(with a small sip of water) on or before the day of surgery.
The Day of Surgery
Please refer to the back of this brochure for specific instructions
regarding the location of the surgery center and parking instructions.
You should plan on arriving at the Center at least 1 to 1.5 hours before
the scheduled time of your surgery or according to instructions given by
your physician. Please be certain to bring a photo ID and a copy of all
of your insurance cards with you on the day of surgery.
- Our administrative staff will welcome you and your family and friends in our
spacious waiting room until it is time for you to prepare for surgery.
- Once admitted, you will proceed to the changing room and be asked to change into
surgical attire. Although you will be given a space to protect your clothing and
personal belongings, it’s always best to leave jewelry and items of value at home.
Kendall Pointe Surgery Center unfortunately cannot be held responsible for any lost items.
- Prior to surgery please remove all makeup, nail polish, hairpins, wigs, false eyelashes,
eyeglasses, contact lenses, hearing aids and dentures (full or partial). Please bring
in a container from home to store these items.
- Your nurse will take your temperature, blood pressure and pulse and ask you a few
questions regarding your health.
- Prior to surgery, your anesthesiologist will explain to you the anesthesia your
physician has chosen for your procedure.
Following surgery, our team of nurses will monitor you closely throughout the recovery
phase. Your family members and caregivers may join you in the recovery area once you
are ready for visitors. Typically you will be kept in the recovery area for ninety minutes
following surgery. Our nursing staff will provide you with your physician’s instructions
prior to your discharge. It is important that you follow all of these instructions.
- Prior to the day of surgery, arrange for a responsible adult to drive you home. We will
be happy to call the individual when you are ready to be discharged home. Under no
circumstances will a patient be allowed to leave our care without a responsible adult to
- If a car ride is not available we will be happy to call a cab when you and your responsible
caregiver are ready to leave.
- Arrange to have a responsible adult with you for 24 hours following your surgery.
- Do not take medications other than those prescribed by your doctor(s) following surgery
and listed on your Medication Reconciliation sheet. This includes tranquilizers and
nonprescription, over the counter medications.
- Ask your doctor when it is safe to resume taking your usual medications.
- Do not drink alcohol for 24 hours following surgery.
- Do not drive for 24 hours following your surgery.
- Follow your discharge instructions carefully; they are for your well being.
- Our nurse will call you the day after surgery to ask how you are doing. If you
miss our phone call, please call us at 630.449.0085 and let our recovery team know
how you are feeling.
- If you have any questions, or experience any complications, please call your physician
or our staff… We are here to help.
- Get plenty of rest following your surgery, and enjoy the comfort and convenience of
recovering in your own home.
© 2010 Kendall Pointe Surgery Center. All Rights Reserved.